Your guide to mixing Desert Shadow hair colours
This mixing guide is suitable for mixing
Mixing your organic hair colour is similar to baking a cake or making pancakes. You add liquid to a powder, mix and it is ready. You have a recipe in your instruction leaflet and we suggest you follow this until you get acquainted and build a bit of a relationship with the product. Once you have used it a few times you can start to adjust the recipe to make it your own or you can just leave it as it is...... your hair your choice.
Here we have some tips for your mixing pleasure.
The topics we cover in this blog post will be:
1. How much product to mix for your hair length
2. Liquids to use for mixing
3. Optional extras
5. Clever tips
6. Do’s & don’ts
1. How much product should you mix?
Short hair & root touch ups - 1/2 pack
Medium hair - 1 pack
Long hair - 1 to 1.5 packs
Super long hair - 2 - 3 packs
Thick hair - will need to add an extra 1/4 pack for short hair and 1/2 (short to medium) to 3/4 pack (for long hair)
If you are unsure email us with a picture of your hair and we will help guide you.
*Please note - repeated use will see your colour become richer and in some cases darker. Once you achieve the colour shade you like, simply apply to the roots only and do a full application every 4th or 5th time to boost the colour at the ends. This will save time and product.
2. What liquid should I use to mix my organic hair colour?
We recommend you use warm water to mix your organic hair colour. 250mls should be enough but you may need an additional 20 to 40ml if the paste thickens as you apply. We suggest water because it is quick and easy.
You can also use herbal tea if you have some at home and would like the added benefits they bring. Simply make a tea with 300ml of water and allow to steep. Use this is place of water when mixing your hair colour.
Some examples of teas that are good for the hair:
CHAMOMILE TEA : is soothing for the scalp and smells nice
ROSEMARY TEA: promotes healthy hair growth
HIBISCUS TEA: Helps with split ends
3. Optional Extras
If you are interested in essential oils you can also add 1 to 2 drops to your colour mix. We suggest you check for any contraindications before using essential oils and use them sparingly as they are very potent. Do not use essential oils if you are pregnant or breastfeeding unless you see a healthcare professional first.
Some examples of essential oils that are beneficial for the hair:
*Please note add the essential oils at the same time or after adding your water or herbal tea.
Mixing: Mix your Sun Shadow immediately before you intend to use the colour.
Activation: You can leave your paste to sit for 10 mins before applying. This product can be left for longer if you wish but it must be covered so that it doesn't dry out. Once Sun Shadow has been activated with liquid it must be used within 8 to 12 hours. After this time the dye content will start to reduce and the colour result will not be as strong.
TIP: If you mix your product and then decided you want to apply the colour at another time. Simply pop the activated paste into the freezer. It will freeze for up to 3 months and retain its full colour integrity. When you wish to use, allow the paste to thaw out naturally. DO NOT MICROWAVE OR HEAT IT UP.
NON GREY COVERAGE - leave the paste in your hair for 1 to 2 hours
GREY COVERAGE - leave the paste in your hair for 3 hours
TIP: after 5 to 6 hours the organic hair colour will have reached it's limit and there is no extra benefit of leaving it on for this long unless it is for convenience, like if you sleep with it on overnight. 4 hours would be the absolute maximum needed.
5. Clever Tips in summary
- Mix your colour in a non porous bowl. You can use stainless steel, ceramic or plastic. The colour may stain light coloured plastic or porous ceramic.
- If your mix is lumpy even after giving it a good mix, get your electric beaters out and whizz it up for a minute or two. That should get most of them out.
- Repeated use will see your colour become richer and in some cases darker. Once you achieve the colour shade you like, simply apply to the roots only and do a full application every 4th or 5th time to boost the colour at the ends. This will save time and product.
- Left over colour? Freeze it immediately and save it for next time. You can add it to your next mix or use it for root touch ups. It will freeze for up to 3 months and retain its full colour integrity. When you wish to use allow the paste to thaw out naturally DO NOT MICROWAVE OR HEAT IT UP.
- If you are a messy chef, cover your bench or surfaces with an old towel before getting into your mixing.
6. Do's & Dont's
The do's of mixing
- DO wear gloves when mixing
- DO read your instructions in full for measurements & method. If you are unsure read them again.
- DO watch the our you tube video if you are unsure.
- If you mix your colour and then have to leave it for another time. Cover & freeze the mix immediately
- DO reach out if you have any questions
The dont's of mixing
- DO NOT Microwave your paste
- DO NOT apply direct heat to the paste
- DO NOT use boiling liquids
- DO NOT mix your product until you read your mixing instructions in full.
- DO NOT leave your paste out on the counter. If you mix your colour and decide not to colour your hair then and there, freeze the mix.