There is always the concern with coloured hair that it will fade too quickly. This can be disappointing, as after all, you’ve spent time and money achieving your gorgeous shade and you really it want to stay around for as long as possible.
Many elements can lead to this natural fading process speeding up and you not getting the most out of your colour; the sun, salt water and chlorine in swimming pools, heat from hair dryers and much more.
1. Wash your hair less frequently. Though some of you may like to wash or wet your hair daily, twice a week is optimal to retain your colour. Tying your hair up in a ponytail, braid or messy bun can hide slightly dirty hair and buy you an extra day or two.
2. Use colour safe hair products. Make sure your shampoo and conditioner is suited to coloured hair. Many products can strip the hair of oil and take your colour with it.
3. After washing your hair, rinse with cold water. Cold water helps to seal your hair cuticle, making it lay smoothly and locking in your colour. A smoother hair cuticle also better reflects light, giving your hair the appearance of shine and showing off your colour.
4. Be gentle! Don’t roughly towel dry your hair, as this can damage the The hair shaft can be roughed up during the drying process when you wring out your hair or squeeze it too hard with a towel. Swap out your usual towel for an old t shirt and wrap your hair to dry. This is especially effective for you curly haired girls!
5. Air dry instead of hair dry. If you’re a hair dryer lover, try and reduce the heat when using it and limit the amount of times you dry your hair each week. Heat has the same damaging effects on the cuticle of the hair as rough towel drying, so try and keep this to a minimum.
6. Protection! Keep your locks out of the sun as much as possible and when swimming, wet your hair with tap water and put a leave in conditioner on the ends prior to swimming. This helps to prevent chlorine or salt water from entering the hair shaft and causing damage. Always rinse your hair after swimming.
7. Love your scalp and hair with beautiful natural products that don’t contain harsh chemicals and will cause your locks to fade quickly. There are many alternatives , such as our shampoo, conditioner and hair treatments.
8. Treat yourself. Regular treatments that aid in repairing the hair and adding shine will keep the condition of your hair healthy and prolong the life of your colour. Let us know what other tips you might have to extend the life of your colour, we’d love to hear them!